Located in Tbilisi, the Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy, also known as Tbilisi Medical Academy is a private research university in Georgia. The university was founded in 1992 by professors Petre Shotadze and Dmitry Tsverava and it was named after the former after his death in the year 2000. It runs of self governance and is looked after by a highly trained and learned academic staff. The university was added to the World Health Organisation’s list of medical schools in the year 2011.
The university states through its various publications, its website and through its training methods that it aims to train specialists in the medical profession to make them competent to work in the global market with all modern knowledge and expertise needed. They are also taught to contribute towards the development of the Georgian medical field. The teaching standards and content of the Tblisi Medical Academy are at par with global standards, making it easier for international students to increase their knowledge and continue higher studies at other countries of the world. This is the basis followed by the institute for consistent preparation of specialists for both the Georgian and the international labour market. More than 1600 graduates have completed the first level of education in medicine from the Tbilisi Medical Academy from 1993 till date.
The two programs offered by the academy in the field of medicine are:
- One Step Educational Program in Medicine which awards the degree of Doctor of Medicine or Medical Doctor. This is a 6 year long course and the language of instruction is English. There are two semesters in each year of study.
- One Step Educational Program in Dentistry which awards the degree of Doctor of Dental Medicine. This is a five year long course with two semesters per year.
Those who complete either of these two courses successfully are eligible to start working as junior doctors or pursue a master degree course in any medical specialization. Local students have to clear all regulations dictated by the Unified National Examinations.
The following documents have to be submitted for admission by all applicants:
- Copies of all pages of the citizenship document
- Copy of school-leaving (high school diploma or equivalent) certificate
- Copy of the certificate of the last two years of complete general education studies abroad, as applicable
- Written consent of the principal of the institution selected by a high-school
- Graduate on possibility of his/her enrolment in vacant positions within the scope of general number of students (first/last name and faculty/specialty)
Address: 51/2 Ketevan Tsamebuli Ave Tbilisi 0144 Georgia