Akaki Tsereteli State University also known as Kutaisi University is a university established in July 1930 in Tbilisi, Georgia, and now located in Kutaisi. Akaki Tsereteli State University is located in a city of ancient history and rich cultural traditions. It is also is one of the country’s oldest higher education institutions with a wide range of educational programs and research directions. Akaki Tsereteli State University is ranked 2nd best Medical University in Georgia. It is also ranked among the first class schools by the World Health Organization (W.H.O).
The history of Akaki Tsereteli State University started seven decades ago and now it is the university distinguished with its traditions throughout Georgia and which holds an honorable place in the business of cultural, intellectual and moral education of Georgian nation.
The university was established on the basis of Tbilisi State University. Tbilisi State University had been founded under guidance of Georgian historian Ivane Javakhishvili in 1918. In July 1930, when Georgia had already fallen under Soviet rule, the authorities abolished Tbilisi State University, creating four independent institutions in its place. State Pedagogical Institute was one of those universities.
On January 8, 1933 Tbilisi State University was re-established and State Pedagogical Institute moved to Kutaisi. Now named Kutaisi University and located in the center of the city, it started functioning from February 13, 1933. Up to 700 students moved to Kutaisi from Tbilisi to continue their studies at the university.
In 1990, the university was transformed into Akaki Tsereteli State University, being named after Georgian poet and national liberation movement figure Akaki Tsereteli. On February 23, 2006 the authorities merged the university with Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili Polytechnic Institute which was founded on September 1, 1974 enhancing its faculty and curriculum on technical subjects.
The Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili Polytechnic Institute was officially given the status on September 23, 1973 and the opening ceremony was held on September 1, 1974.
The establishment of the new institute in Kutaisi was preceded by many years of preparatory period. In 1946 study and consulting point of Georgian Polytechnic Institute was opened in Kutaisi, which in 1953 was transformed to evening and correspondence learning faculty. In 1968 the internal department was added and the institute became Kutaisi Faculty of the Georgian Polytechnic Institute.
In 1974 on the basis of the Kutaisi Faculty a Polytechnic Institute was opened, which was granted the name of the academician Niko Muskhelishvili in 1977.
The priority majors of the higher education institution are considered: Light, Textile and Food Industry Engineering. The first departments opened were: Philosophy, Higher Mathematics, Graphics Engineering and Drawing Geometry, Physics and Applied Technical Mechanics. Gradually the number of the departments increased and Electric Technology and Textile Industry, Food Technology and Economics Departments were added. The learning and material-technical basis and light industry laboratories were expanded and improved. The transportation, engineering mechanics and electric technology faculties were opened. As of 2011, the Akaki Tsereteli State University operated the following faculties:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Exact and Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Pedagogics
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Technical Engineering
- Faculty of Maritime Transportation
- Faculty of Agricultur
The University Vision
- Implement high-quality educational programs at each level of higher education;
- Promote the development of the vocational education system through modern vocational education programs;
- Conduct modern and actual scientific research;
- Take account of the priorities of the social, economic and cultural development of the region and the country for the educational and research activities;
- Support the inculcation of humanism, democracy, national and international values upon the society.
Medical Accreditation and Recognition
- Akaki Tsereteli State University Faculty of Medicine was recently listed at the International Medical Directories (IMED)
- World Directory of Medical Schools (WHO/WHO)
- Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER), International Medical Education Directory (IMED)
- And it also became a member of: An International Association of Medical Education (AMEE)
About MD at Akaki Tsereteli State University
Akaki Tsereteli State University started to run at the Faculty of Medicine the English-speaking interna- tional quality Medical Degree (MD) program, in which we have 135 for- eign students, the University has University Clinic, which is one of the best clinics in Western Georgia and we also actively collaborate with other leading clinics in the city too.
Educational program involves 360 ECTS credits. One credit is equal to 25 academic hours and ends with final qualification exam. Program duration is 6 academic years, 12 Semesters (15-15 aca- demic weeks), maximum 22 aca- demic contact hours per week.
Fees & Other Important Details
- Course Duartion-6 years (Based on Credit System, you get an option to complete within 5 years.)
- Medium of study- English
- Fees structure: 5000 USD First Year and 4500 USD for subsequent year
- Accommodation, Food & Other Expenses: Approx 2000 to 2500 USD
- Nominal expenses for TRC and Insurance
- Processing & Service Charges Extra (One Time Expenses to be paid in First Year Only)
- Registration Amount Only 10,000 Rupees
Address: Tamar Mephe St. #59 4600 Kutaisi Georgia